Friday, June 23, 2006

My little soap-opera

Some parts of guild life are very much like watching a soap-opera. Due to my time-zone, I'm hardly ever online when any dramatic event unfolds, I'm usually told about it after the fact.

Let me illustrate with an example from last night.

One of the problems with being in a raiding guild is that everyone wants to proceed at their own pace. Another is that not everyone brings the same level of dedication to conquering new content.

This, of course, raises conflicts. Battle-lines are drawn between the two factions. We have the "Lets just farm MC, ZG & Onyxia", and the "Come-on! If we don't beat BWL, how are we going to get into AQ40 & Naxxramas? MC is boring!"

Now, I'm all for conquering new content. If I was going to pick a faction it would be "Lets do BWL tonight". Cynics would say that's because I'm a warlock, and I picked up my felheart set in the first month raiding MC, so I have nothing left. Maybe they're right. It does however put me in with the majority of the guild.

How do you resolve this inherent conflict of interests? I'm guessing a little better than our guild management did last night. 3 people were "asked to leave" last night. A lot of the reasons given were a little spurious, but basically it boiled down to these people were not contributing enough. That's fine, I guess, if you're a hard-core raiding guild. I was under the impression we were not.

The matter in the way this was handled has left more than a few of my guild-mates a little hot under the collar. We've already had one person /gquit and I'm guessing she won't be the last.

One of the problems with the way the matter was handled was that it was decided in a closed meeting between the guild officers & Class Leaders. We've been told that the issues will be discussed in an upcoming guild meeting, but this is coming off as "Kick first, justify later".

I'm guessing that these particular people were asked to leave, as opposed to some others guilty of some of the same problems, is due to these people not being well liked by the upper echelon of the guild.

It will be interesting to see how things turn out. Whether the guild meeting will have any effect at all. Will these people be invited back? What will they do if even more people leave over this?

As usual, I will only be able to find out the results of the meeting as I will still be at work due to my time-zone.

My little soap-opera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home